BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ancestory




I grew up as a little kid always hearing stories about where my grandpa grew up and all the things he experienced living in a small town with native americans, but I never took the time to actually listen and hear the stories. I believe knowing where you come from is very important. To this day I don't know who my ancestors were, and where they came from, or where they settled, but it's doesn't seem to make much difference in my life.

I may not know much now, but  I hope in the future I can learn who my great, great, great, great, great, great grandparents are and where I came up. It would mean a lot and maybe make somewhat of a difference in how I live my life. Through internet research, I learned that the name "Maestas" first orginated in Holland, in a province call Netherlands. Maestas name can also be Maes. Johan Philip Maes first settled to the United States in New York, 1709.

The picture at the top represents the Maestas coat of arms and armonial history. The coat of arms is the only one element of the full armonial achievement. The arms were first, just painted color(s). Later, they then began adding objects. Such as, birds, fish, flowers etc. The crest was usually worn on top of the helmet. It provided easty identification. Today both the arms, and crest are usually displayed together.

 My family does have a few traditions and one is, getting together on holidays at my grandmother's house. In December right around Christmas, all the girl's in the family including me, my mom, my grandma, my two aunties, and three little cousin's make food. Tamales, cookies,  posole, chocolate fudge, etc. It's one of very few traditions we have in our family, but when it's here I make the best out of it.

Not knowing where I come from is a bit hard for me to believe, but stories are just stories. In my honest opinion, I don't think knowing who my ancestors were are very important. That's just what I believe. It would be interesting for me to learn all about where I really came from. Just because I wasn't told very many stories when I was a kid, doesn't mean I don't know who I am. Maybe in the future I will learn about my family, and culture.

0 comments: